White Stripes, Steve Earle Gear Up for Loretta Lynn Tribute Album
Published Oct 22, 2010Jack White's love of Loretta Lynn's music is no secret. He did, after all, produce the legendary country singer's Grammy-winning 2005 album Van Lear Rose. The multi-tasking musician from the Dead Weather, the Raconteurs and the White Stripes clearly still wants to us to know how great Lynn is, though, which may be why he's taking part in a new tribute to the star.
Titled Coal Miner's Daughter: A Tribute to Loretta Lynn, the collection will feature cover versions of Lynn's country classics by White's White Stripes, Paramore, Reba McEntire, Steve Earle, Sheryl Crow and Kid Rock, amongst others. An interview with Billboard finds White praising his friend's celebrated career.
"She's so incredibly talented," White said. "When you work with her, she's actually a genius. She knows exactly what she's doing. Every word she writes is from the heart and she means it... She's the greatest female singer/songwriter of the 20th century."
The White Stripes will tackle Lynn's 1973 No. 1 hit "Rated X," which White feels, despite being nearly 40 years old, is still a controversial cut.
"I thought it was a really shocking thing for her to choose to say in the title of a song," White says. "Who would do that? It would be racy to come out with a song called 'Rated X' right now, and that came out in the '70s."
Lynn herself has heard the collection and is proud of each artist's reinterpretation.
"All the artists have done things with the songs that I didn't do and I love it," Lynn said of the project. "It's great."
Columbia Records will release Coal Miner's Daughter: A Tribute to Loretta Lynn November 9.
Coal Miner's Daughter: A Tribute to Loretta Lynn:
1. "Don't Come Home A Drinkin' (With Lovin' On Your Mind)" - Gretchen Wilson
2. "I'm A Honky Tonk Girl" - Lee Ann Womack
3. "Rated X" - The White Stripes
4. "You're Lookin' At Country" - Carrie Underwood
5. "Louisiana Woman, Mississippi Man" - Alan Jackson and Martina McBride
6. "You Ain't Woman Enough (To Take My Man)" - Paramore
7. "Love Is The Foundation" - Faith Hill
8. "After The Fire Is Gon"e - Steve Earle and Allison Moorer
9. "If You're Not Gone Too Long" - Reba
10. "I Know How" - Kid Rock
11. "Somebody Somewhere (Don't Know What He's Missin' Tonight)" - Lucinda Williams
12. "Coal Miner's Daughter" - Loretta Lynn, Sheryl Crow and Miranda Lambert